We are at the 0 mark.
We are at the 2400 mark.
We are at the 4400 mark.
We are at the 6400 mark.
We are at the 8400 mark.
We are at the 10400 mark.
We are at the 12400 mark.
We are at the 14400 mark.
We are at the 16400 mark.
As you scroll down the page, images will slide into view from the right edge of the screen. Clicking on an image or graphic designated with will reveal a caption.
Each section represents a different piece of history from Vancouver Washington. Each location, now honored and protected by the Historic Trust, has its rich history.
You have the option to turn all captions on or off. To do so, use the toggle control in the bottom left corner of the page.
Finally, you can jump to any decade by using the mini-timeline at the bottom right corner of the page.
Established in May of 1849, to provide a military presence to the area. The original headquarters still stands as the Grant House.
In 1855, the United States Government signed a treaty with the Nez Perce Indian tribe promising them territory similar to that of their origin. By 1877, the Nez Perce Indian tribe was ordered to move to the Nez Perce Reservation to make room for white settlers. This resulted in a four-month long war between the U.S. Army and Nez Perce Indian tribe.
In 1866, the original Fort Vancouver structure was burned to the ground.
In 1917, the Vancouver Barracks served as a recruitment center for men and women being stationed overseas during World War I.
In 1918, the Spanish influenza epidemic resulted in the post being shut down for a time
Between 1914 and 1918, the Spruce Production Plant at the Vancouver Barracks provided lumber for aviation and shipbuilding. The Sitka Spruce was used to make aviation grade lumber and the lumber manufactured from the Douglas-fir (named after famous botanist David Douglas) was used for shipbuilding.
In 1948 the U.S. Army transferred the post to the Army Reserve and the Washington National Guard
In 1911, the Vancouver Barracks polo field was the place for aviation aficionados to gather and test new aeronautical developments
On June 12, 1912, Silas Christofferson, flew a specially designed plane from the top of the Multnomah Hotel in Portland to the Vancouver Barracks
On September 16, 1925, Pearson Field was dedicated
In 1934, Leah Hing became the first Chinese-American woman to obtain a pilot license at Pearson Field.
In June 1937 an aviation milestone was reached when Pearson Field became the landing site for Valeri Chkalov and his crew on their nonstop flight from Moscow
In 1918, the Spruce Production Division at the Spruce Cut-Up Mill produced approximately 88.5 million board feet of Sitka Spruce to be used for aviation grade lumber. This lead to deforestation in the Vancouver area
Marshall House was built between 1886 and 1887, it was originally built for Brigadier General John Gibbon
Marshall House received its namesake after Brigadier General George C. Marshall, who served as Commanding Officer at the Vancouver Barracks as well as the regional Civilian Conservation Corps from 1936-1938
Valeri Chkalov and his crew stayed at Marshall House in 1937 following an emergency landing at Pearson Field during the first nonstop transpolar flight from Europe to America
Marshall House continued to be the residence for the commanding officer of Vancouver Barracks until the end of World War II
Today Marshall House is an essential part of Officer’s Row
Originally referred to as The House of Providence, construction on Providence Academy began in 1872
In 1873 Providence Academy was established by Mother Joseph of the Sacred Heart and four Montreal nuns
From 1873-1966, Providence Academy served as both an orphanage and school, addressing the communities social and religious needs
As of 1924, Providence Academy became an entirely educational based institution
Providence Academy operated as a school until 1966
In 1969, Robert Hidden purchased the building for mixed-use
The Kaiser Company established their Vancouver ship yard in 1942 along the Columbia River waterfront
The shipyards provided jobs for thousands of men and women
The Vancouver shipyard may have been the most important piece of land along the Columbia River waterfront in 1942, but today that privilege belongs to the Land Bridge
“With hands and hearts they are fashioning complete victory as surely as if they were on the fighting front.” – Kaiser
When the Vancouver shipyard closed at the end of World War II, over 141 vessels had been launched
On Memorial Day 1948, the embankment that kept the Columbia River out of the Vanport housing project broke and the resulting flood displaced 18,000 people
The Land Bridge was dedicated August 23, 2008 and serves as a modern day connection between historic Fort Vancouver and the Columbia River waterfront.