To Do This Week:
Just describe the programming steps, nothing about design. For example:
- display a random sentence of text
- make each word in the sentence hoverable
- on hover, the word animates a list of other possible words
- when not hovering, a new word is selected from the animated list, replacing the original word
- when a new sentence is figured out with all new words, play a sound
data types: strings, numbers, booleans, arrays
basic operators and “shortcut” operators
objects / methods / properties
Generative digital art or writing refers to a type of creative expression that uses a computer script or algorithm. The computer generates the artwork, poem or story based on parameters set by the artist/writer or through self-generating processes. The output can be a unique, often random and evolving, digital work.
Taper: an online literary magazine for small computational pieces
Interactive text toy
template – story-generator
template – line scramble poem
Past student work:
- random pizza Shane Sanders
- narrative game: Bed Bugs, Holly Slocum
Working with strings (manipulating text):
- string methods
- regular expressions…
Regex (regular expressions) Basics:
// TO BREAK A LINE AFTER A PERIOD
// find all periods: \.
// replace with: \.\n
// TO ADD QUOTE AT START OF LINES
// find beginning of line: ^
// replace with: ”
// TO ADD QUOTE AND COMMA AT END OF LINES
// find end of line: $
// replace with: “,
// TO REMOVE ALL LINE BREAKS
// find: \n\s+
// replace with nothing
E-Lit Project (10%) DUE Wednesday Feb 22nd
- Come up with an idea for what you want to do with text. Break down the idea into a sequence of specific steps. Be as detailed as you can. Write out the steps in natural human language.
- Check with ChatGPT about the sequence of steps needed for programming your project (still in natural language). Compare the ChatGPT results with your written steps. Adjust.
- Test your script. Check the console for problems.
- Apply CSS design.
- Upload the project to the server and post the url in the Slack channel along with a description of the steps that you started with.