Project 1: Mosaic Probe (Multimodal Project)
Write a visual or multimodal essay in the “mosaic style” of The Medium is the Massage. You may expand one or more blog post(s) or start in a new direction. The topic is open. It can be personal, argumentative, exploratory, evidence-based or creative nonfiction. However, the essay should reference at least two readings and it should “probe” a single idea or aspect of digital culture and should address how digital media changes human interaction, communication, identity or community.
Due Tuesday July 14th
Digital Writing Tools:
- Video (or animation) essay (posted on YouTube)
- Google Slides, Powerpoint or Apple Keynote Slideshow
- HTML website
- Twine essay
- Do not approach this as a linear college essay with an introduction, development and conclusion. This a mosaic. Start by writing in fragments around your central idea. Integrate quotes from the readings, design and media elements (you may use images from google search) and put these into play with your written fragments. Then edit/refine the writing.
- Experiment with typography, color, imagery and sound, but try to make meaningful juxtapositions of text and design elements. You will not be graded on your design skills, but on the thinking you put into these relations
- Always check spelling and grammar. Always proofread your writing.
- Reference/quote from at least two readings
- 500-1000 words
- Include a notes section where you properly source any text, image, video, or sound file that is not your own
- Video, audio works should be accompanied by a 250 word production statement
- A reflective personal essay about how the web has changed you
- Pick a social network and “probe” how the medium shapes social interaction and personal identities
- Expand a blog post or connect ideas from two blog posts
- Reflect on the consequences or implications of the reproduction, storage and distribution of digital media
- Speculate about the future of digital media 10, 50, 100 years from now
Due Friday July 31st
OPTION #1: Compose a 1500-3000 word multimedia (images and/or video) essay on any topic that relates to digital technology and culture. The essay must meet the following criteria:
- unlike the “mosaic probe” the writing must make a specific argument about digital effects on culture and relate the ideas/works we have discussed in class
- the text must integrate at least two main topics from the class modules (reproduction/remediation, for example)
- meaningfully quote from at least 2 of the class readings
- spelling and grammar checked
- include a notes section where you properly source any text, image, video, or sound file that is not your own
- an analysis of a work of digital art or electronic literature
- an analysis of an app or genre of app
- an analysis of social media platform or app
- an analysis of digital media used in political or ad campaigns
- a comparison of two works in which one remediates another
OPTION #2: Create a creative, essayistic digital work (video, website, slideshow or Twine game) that integrates media (text, images, audio, video, etc.) and reflects on any topic or issue discussed in class. The text must integrate at least two main topics from the class modules (reproduction/remediation, for example). Include a 500-1000 artist statement about the creative work and how it relates to the class modules and discussions.