Social Media Manager
OHSU – Portland, Oregon Area
Oregon Health & Science University is seeking a social media manager to lead a growing team charged with creating durable, authentic online connections with OHSU.
Applicants must have experience managing crisis communications through social media. Strong preference will be given to individuals with a background using social media in the health care sector.
In addition to leading a social media unit, the manager works closely with OHSU’s media relations and marketing teams, as well as stakeholders from the OHSU Foundation and subject matter experts (bloggers) from across the institution. The manager also leads peer-to-peer social media expertise-building activities for OHSU team members informally tasked with social media responsibilities
The position holds primary responsibility for continuing to develop, implement and measure an OHSU social media strategy in support of the overall marketing and communications goals of the institution. The position is also accountable for applying appropriate social media policies, guidelines and governance structures, and for managing institutional capacity to use social media in crisis or emergency situations.
Apply online with job number IRC38676 at www.ohsu.edu/hr
Desired Skills & Experience
- Competitive candidates will have demonstrated professional experience managing crisis communications through social media.
- Additionally a Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English, public relations or a related field AND five (5) years in communications and media relations and broad knowledge of current and future trends in social media is required.
- Strong preference will be given to individuals with a background using social media in the health care sector.
- Specific knowledge of and practical experience both using and administering key social media tools (e.g., blogs, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube).
- Specific knowledge of approaches to measuring performance/results using key social media tools.
- Experience conducting social media audits in large organizations.
- Experience functioning as a team leader or manager.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Significant experience developing comprehensive communication and media plans.
- Experience managing advertising/web/PR vendor relationships
Oregon Health & Science University is a nationally prominent research university and Oregon’s only public academic health center.
It serves patients throughout the region with a Level 1 trauma center and nationally recognized Doernbecher Children’s Hospital.
OHSU operates dental, medical, nursing and pharmacy schools that rank high both in research funding and in meeting the university’s social mission. OHSU’s Knight Cancer Institute helped pioneer personalized medicine through a discovery that identified how to shut down cells that enable cancer to grow without harming healthy ones. OHSU Brain Institute scientists are nationally recognized for discoveries that have led to a better understanding of Alzheimer’s disease and new treatments for Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis and stroke. OHSU’s Casey Eye Institute is a global leader in ophthalmic imaging, and in clinical trials related to eye disease.
- February 22, 2013
- Not Applicable
- Public Relations, Marketing, Writing/Editing
- Hospital & Health Care, Higher Education, Public Relations and Communications
- Job ID: