zoom session recorded June 22nd at 12:30pm:
issues around copyright/plagiarism/remix
class structure: read/respond/discuss/make
reading/writing for each module: about 2 hours
course aims vs student aims:
- the course will introduce key ideas and terms relevant to the study of digital technology and culture.
- students will follow their own interests and passions through blogging, class discussions, creative short-assignments and projects
- overview of the OER textbook: chapters/modules
- theoretical essays/articles – underlining, rereading and note-taking.
- i will post my own questions and select 2 of you (weekly) to post your own discussion questions on Slack
- be part of the discussion – at least two substantial (paragraph) posts to Slack each week
- connect ideas from other readings/discussions
- share links that relate to issues, bring your perspective
- try to refer to specific points in the reading
- read and respond to the blog prompt
- after reading the assigned text, select at least 1 passage from the readings or videos to quote in your post
- draft 250-500 (not including quoted text) of your own words, make sure you address the question or prompt (be substantive!)
- proofread, check spelling and grammar
- add a featured image to your post
- you are encouraged to add images and videos to your posts
- comment on other students posts in out Slack discussions
- blog set-up:
multimodal project & final project:
- text should be your own words
- images and other media are either your own, significantly changed by you or cited/sourced properly
- spelling and grammar checked
- address the project description/parameters of the project
- include quotes from readings/videos
Make your first blog post to introduce yourself. Please include:
- Your major
- What is your interest in digital media?
- PC, MAC or both?
- Set an image of you as the author avatar
- Introduction to Digital Technology and Culture
- In what ways have you/we been shaped by digital technology?
- What aspects of digital technology do you think will enhance life in the next fifty years?
- What effects of digital technology do you fear the most?