Whitman College has launched a west coast search for a Web Content Development Specialist. A job description is attached. Should you be aware of qualified candidates who may have an interest in this opportunity, we would greatly appreciate your referrals.
Candidates may apply electronically at https://whitmanhr.simplehire.com/
Located in the historic community of Walla Walla in the scenic wine country of southeastern Washington state, Whitman’s beautiful tree-lined campus is home to an intellectually dynamic and diverse community of some 500 staff and faculty and 1,500 students. Ranked by U.S. News & Report among the top fifty liberal arts colleges in the country, Whitman is proud to count among its distinguished alumni the longest-serving justice in U.S. Supreme Court history, the first woman to serve as a law clerk for a Supreme Court justice, a U.S. ambassador, a nationally-acclaimed poet, the youngest astronaut in NASA’s history, the Chief Engineer of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory and Mars’ Exploration, a former CEO of General Electric, and a Nobel laureate in physics. With an endowment exceeding $400 million, fiercely loyal alumni, exceptional students, and accomplished faculty and staff, Whitman College continues to build on its national reputation for academic excellence and leadership.
Whitman College continues to build a diverse academic community and welcomes nominations of and applications from women, members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, and others who would bring additional dimensions to the College’s learning environment. Whitman is responsive to the needs of dual career couples. Whitman College is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
This job is right up someone’s alley. Check it out:
Director of Digital Programs
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Poetryfoundation.org is one of the leading websites for poetry in America, offering an archive of more than 11,000 poems by more than 2,000 poets. Additional editorial content in a variety of formats includes feature articles, audio poems and videos, podcasts, news, and monthly material from Poetry magazine. The site served 20 million unique visitors in 2013.
The digital programs of the Poetry Foundation encompass two major areas of activity:
1) Using technology and digital publishing platforms to reach and engage a broad audience for poetry and Poetry magazine
2) Supporting and promoting all of the Foundation’s programs and initiatives
The current portfolio includes:
- three websites (poetryfoundation.org, poetryoutloud.org, and americanlifeinpoetry.org)
- a mobile app (POETRY from the Poetry Foundation) available on both iOS and Android platforms
- a digital edition of Poetry magazine (Apple Newsstand)
- two editorial email newsletters.
The digital programs team also works with the Foundation’s marketing team to maintain a digital presence on a wide range of social media platforms.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Develop and implement digital and social media strategy and products including evaluating emerging technology for adoption by the Foundation;
- Develop an online audience for a wide range of poetry programming including managing the process for gathering and reporting web traffic data, search results, and web traffic marketing plans, and establishing partnerships with other websites important to the mission of the Foundation;
- Provide editorial direction to staff editors, producers, and consultants in order to publish the site’s frequently updated content. This includes acquiring and approving all articles and other content such as feature articles, podcasts, and other audio and visual features;
- Work with other Foundation senior managers to publish online content and information from all program areas at the Foundation;
- Develop marketing plans and campaigns to promote the website as needed.
- Direct the process by which poems and other materials about poets and poetry are added to the site’s archive. This includes supervising the permissions process for all published content. Manage the technical staff and consultants who design and develop the site’s user interface to ensure the quality of the user experience;
- Manage technical consultants, including developers, usability experts, and hosting providers, to ensure the security and performance of the underlying technical infrastructure;
- Collaborate with other editors at the Foundation on poetry issues and judging of awards as necessary.
- Experience launching, maintaining, and growing audience for large websites and native apps—experience with digital editions of magazines helpful
- Extensive use of Google Analytics and other metrics for strategic content and audience development
- Demonstrated success in managing a suite of digital products (e.g., websites and apps), defined digital strategy for a publisher, non-profit, or university
- Experience managing in-house web developers or web development consultants
- High-level editorial experience—defined tone/voice, story-generation, cultivated freelance writers—and line-editing experience for a web content
- Management experience – has managed writers, editors, technology staff
- Budget responsibility
- Experience reporting to a Board or making presentations to clients
- Knowledge of poetry
This position offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Full-time, exempt.
The Poetry Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and values the various perspectives and talents of a diverse staff.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, along with a C.V. or résumé, to employmentATpoetryfoundationDOTorg (please send all attachments as a PDF document; subject line: Digital Program Editor). The deadline for applications is April 15, 2014.
No phone calls or drop-in inquiries, please.
About the Poetry Foundation: The Poetry Foundation, publisher of Poetry magazine, is an independent literary organization committed to a vigorous presence for poetry in our culture. It exists to discover and celebrate the best poetry and to place it before the largest possible audience. The Poetry Foundation seeks to be a leader in shaping a receptive climate for poetry by developing new audiences, creating new avenues for delivery, and encouraging new kinds of poetry through innovative literary prizes and programs.